Application of remote sensing, GIS, geo-visualization, spatial analysis, and Integrated Assessment Modeling in ecosystem, environmental, and social sciences, including:
- Urbanization mapping and modeling
- Urban heat island
- Urban energy use and emissions
- Urban phenology
- Urban sustainability
- Water-energy-food nexus
- Climate change impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability
Key Environmental Science Publications:
- Li, X., Y. Zhou*, Z. Zhu, L. Liang, B. Yu, and W. Cao (2018). Mapping annual urban dynamics (1985–2015) using time series of Landsat data. Remote Sensing of Environment 216: p. 674-683.
- Zhou, S., Y. Wang, Y. Zhou*, L. E. Clarke and J. A. Edmonds (2018). Roles of wind and solar energy in China's power sector: Implications of intermittency constraints. Applied Energy 213: 22-30.
- Lu, X., Y. Zhou*, Y. Liu and Y. Le Page (2018). The role of protected areas in land use/land cover change and the carbon cycle in the conterminous United States. Global Change Biology 24(2): 617-630.
- Li, X., Y. Zhou*, G. R. Asrar and Z. Zhu (2018). Developing a 1 km resolution daily air temperature dataset for urban and surrounding areas in the conterminous United States. Remote Sensing of Environment 215: 74-84.
- Li, X., Y. Zhou*, G. R. Asrar and Z. Zhu (2018). Creating a seamless 1 km resolution daily land surface temperature dataset for urban and surrounding areas in the conterminous United States. Remote Sensing of Environment 206: 84-97.
- Li, W., Y. Zhou*, K. S. Cetin, S. Yu, Y. Wang and B. Liang (2018). Developing a landscape of urban building energy use with improved spatiotemporal representations in a cool-humid climate. Building and Environment 136: 107-117.
- Güneralp, B., Y. Zhou, D. Ürge-Vorsatz, M. Gupta, S. Yu, P. L. Patel, M. Fragkias, X. Li and K. C. Seto (2017). Global scenarios of urban density and its impacts on building energy use through 2050. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114(34): 8945-8950.
- Alberti, M., C. Correa, J. M. Marzluff, A. P. Hendry, E. P. Palkovacs, K. M. Gotanda, V. M. Hunt, T. M. Apgar and Y. Zhou (2017). Global urban signatures of phenotypic change in animal and plant populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 114(34): 8951-8956.
- Li, X., Y. Zhou*, G. R. Asrar and L. Meng (2017). Characterizing spatiotemporal dynamics in phenology of urban ecosystems based on Landsat data. Science of the Total Environment 605-606: 721-734.
- Li, X., Y. Zhou*, G. R. Asrar, J. Mao, X. Li and W. Li (2017). Response of vegetation phenology to urbanization in the conterminous United States. Global Change Biology 23(7): 2818-2830.
Ph.D., In Environmental Sciences, University of Rhode Island, 2008
M.Sc., In Cartography and GIS, Beijing Normal University, China, 2004
B.Sc., In Geography, Beijing Normal University, China, 2001